How much is enough?
I suppose the biggest factor in determining how much is enough is what you are talking about: ice cream, torture, love, wealth, peace, homework, grace. Here’s the dictionary definition for you.
1. a. sufficient to answer a need, demand, supposition, or requirement; adequate: enough cake
b. ( as pronoun ): enough is now known
2. that’s enough! that will do: used to put an end to an action, speech, performance, etc
3. so as to be adequate or sufficient; as much as necessary: you have worked hard enough
4. ( not used with a negative ) very or quite; rather: she was pleased enough to see me
5. (intensifier): oddly enough ; surprisingly enough
6. just adequately; tolerably: he did it well enough
Sometimes you know you’ve had enough when you want no more, but other times enough is a little harder to measure.
Why isn’t knowing what’s right enough to cause us to make the right decision? Usually it’s because we let our emotions override what we know. We struggle with our own selfish desires and thoughts and we try to fill emotional holes with what we want instead of what we need or doing what we know is right. Sooner or later what we know just doesn’t matter anymore and we run full-steam ahead doing what we want and disregarding what is right.
Sooner or later we experience enough of the consequences of our behavior (or someone else’s) that we yell, “Enough is enough!”
If knowing what is right isn’t enough to help us make the right decision, then what is?
Well, that’s different for everyone. For me it was fear. Fear of what would happen if I continued down the path I was traveling. I was absolutely terrified of more severe consequences and that was enough to make me stop and consider my options.
Have you had enough?
Tell me about it below. Your story will never be shared without your permission.